Monday, March 12, 2007

Robert Newton Peck

The Soup books have been popular among students who need historical fiction they can finish in two days. A couple of the students even came and said "I really liked that; are you sure it was historicla fiction?" That always makes me smile.

The King's Iron is definitely historical. Lenghthy and with enough period dialogue to make me pause, it is an interesting story about several men involved in moving a large canon from Fort Ticonderoga. The more interesting story is that of the men-- one a young Native American, once a disgraced Virginian from a good home, one an old trapper. Would I have bought this one? Probably not. But since it's been on the shelves for thirty years, I will keep it. There is a fair amount of bawdiness and violence hidden among all of the history, not unlike Dumas' The Three Musketeers. The Revolutionary War is in our curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment