Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sheth's Keeping Corner

For fans of Whelan's Homeless Bird, this book about a young Indian widow circa 1918 is even better. Sheth, who did the wonderful Blue Jasmine about her own experience coming from India to the United States to live, tells us the tale of an aunt who was widowed at a young age and refused to stick to the very strigent code of conduct prescribed for widows. Since she is so young, she needs to listen to her parents a bit: she "keeps corner", staying in the house for a year, but continues her studies and looks for ways to escape from the restrictive life style. Luckily, an older brother argues her case, and the social upheaval at the time also works in her favor. Ghandi is effecting social change, and this is explained in the context of the story.

The descriptions of every day life are very interesting, and the story moves along at a good pace. Students who don't like historical fiction are drawn into Homeless Bird by the struggles of the heroine, and they will be even more intrigued by this story.

I read Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet and didn't buy it. I can't remember why. I like this author so much that I will have to revisit the book!

1 comment:

  1. I loved Homeless Bird, so I will definitely have to check this out.

    Thanks for the comments on my blog. As for your question about Wed. Wars - I think kids will enjoy it, but they won't get the depth. It's a funny story even without knowing the history, but knowing the history certainly adds layers to it. I will be referring my friends who think I read a lot to your site. You are amazing!

    PS Is Westerville anywhere near Mason, Ohio? That's where my brother and his kiddos live.

    ReplyDelete