Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Jacky Daydream

Jacqueline Wilson seems to have several autobiographies, or at least different versions of her story. The one that I bought to bring home was Jacky Daydream: The Story of Her Childhood, published in 2007 by Corgi Yearling. I enjoyed this one, since Wilson tells mainly the story of her childhood, and ties events in her own life to characters in her books. One of my friends thought this was a little annoying and precious, but I can see girls who have read a lot of Wilson books feeling clever when they are able to name the character in a similar circumstance. This is nicely supplemented with pictures and documents and was a fun read. It did discuss, briefly, the fact that both Wilson's father and mother may have had "friends"; this is also the case in many of her books. Girls who read the books will not be overly shocked by this admission, and there aren't a lot of details.

Guilt admission: I've been reading Maeve Binchy books, since there is a new one out about Polish immigration into Ireland and I haven't been able to get it from the library yet. (There's also a Cathy Cassidy, Angel Cake, dealing with the same topic.) I have training on our new Destiny circulation system Thursday and Friday, then am allowed into the building next week. Right now, my desk chair is on top of the circulation desk, and all is chaos, so I don't even want to go in to work.

In a related note, rumor has it that the architects have decided to embrace the "bistro" look for the library. I'm not sure exactly what this means, although the end result will probably be a library that looks like the love child of Panera Bread and Pottery Barn. *Sigh* As long as it does not impede functionality, I'll be fine with it. In fact, the more fashionable, the better. In 15 years, it will be just as dated as the Brady Bunch look is now, and I will laugh.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! I've been looking at teen spaces, since we are moving our teens out of their dark little hole in the extreme back of the library. They all look so "trendy" and I am sure in ten years will scream "outdated"! Fortunately, we're moving our teens into the historic part of the building - with 100-year-old sculpted ceilings and a soothing green scheme. Also, it's right behind the reference desk, so we can keep an eye on them. In a helpful way of course (-:) No neon lights for us! Although we will have bean bags.

    ReplyDelete