Thursday, July 29, 2010

They've Painted!!!

The good news is that a week after the renovation was supposed to be finished, they started to paint! The workmen were sweeping the floor when I was there today, hopefully in preparation for the World's Ugliest Carpet. (Below) While the paint looks a nice sunny yellow in the photo, it's sort of an orangish yellow, no doubt meant to match the carpet. It could have been worse-- it could have been orange or purple paint. This amuses me greatly; before the renovation, the Powers That Be made fun of my original 1969 decor, complete with orange shelving. The renovation was supposed to take us OUT of "the Brady Bunch era". Not sure that we are going to accomplish this goal.



Oh, well. As long as there is flooring on the first day, and we get all the boxes moved back into the library and the security gates up, I can open. If they are building shelves, I don't know if I can have classes, and obviously computer use depends upon actually having computers. If study halls are scheduled in the library during lunch, it might be easier to have tables and chairs, but I'm sure the children will enjoy sitting on the floor!

5 comments:

  1. Out of the Brady Bunch era and smack into the 80s! Wo-hoo!

    Thanks for the updates, it's fun to follow the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When does school start??! Good luck with your move back in--those children are remarkably adaptable, I'm sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are obviously a much stronger person than I. I don't think I could work in a library that involved shades of orange (which is one of the reasons I never turn the light on in my bedroom b/c it has a HIDEOUS orange carpet. i hate my apartment) At least 1/3 of my reason for accepting my current job was that the library is sea-green. At least they didn't do you in neons, or modernistic steel and black, which seem to be the "in thing" for teen areas. I think they look like warehouses, but whatever...

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm.... Weren't the walls a yellowish color before? They couldn't have gone with a nice BLUE, to go with the school colors (and for the fact that blue has a calming effect... unlike yellow/orange which has an agitating effect)? Yikes. Wonder how fast they can work???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a TOTAL renovation--too bad about the World's Ugliest Carpet. Here in Alameda, CA, we had a new library built several years ago and I was really disappointed to go in and find the whole thing had been decorated in shades of prison gray :>(

    ReplyDelete