Saturday, July 06, 2013

Emergent Readers

Ah, the summer of 1972. I had just finished first grade, had few teeth left in my skull, and LOVED to read. This was a good thing, since I developed a massive ear infection, and for some bizarre reason, the treatment for this was three weeks of bed rest. In the SUMMER. No swimming, no running around the yard; it was horrible. Luckily, my mother had invested in the I Can Read Book Club, as well as the Childcraft Encyclopedia. I read and reread all of the I Can Read Books that we had, and it probably kept my mother from doing me in. 

Years later, my own children spent a lot of time with these books. Some emergent readers read a LOT, and it's tough to keep them in books. The shorter books make them feel a sense of accomplishment, but they go through them quickly. 

I don't normally deal with this level of book, although I do have some in my school library for struggling readers. When I got five different Branches books from Scholastic in my last Baker and Taylor preview copy shipment, I was immediately taken back to the summer of 1972. A bit more advanced than the I Can Read Books, these are worth investigating if you have an avid emergent reader.

"This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line called Branches, which is aimed at newly independent readers. With easy-to-read text, high-interest content, fast-paced plots, and illustrations on every page, these books will boost reading confidence and stamina. Branches books help readers grow!"

Stranger ThingsLubar, David. Stranger Things. (Looniverse#1)
1 May 2013, Scholastic

From Goodreads.com:
"This wacky new series will have kids on the edge of their seats!
This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line called Branches, which is aimed at newly independent readers. With easy-to-read text, high-interest content, fast-paced plots, and illustrations on every page, these books will boost reading confidence and stamina. Branches books help readers grow!"



Rise of the Balloon Goons (The Notebook of Doom, #1)Cummings, Troy. The Rise of the Balloon Goons (Notebooks of Doom #1)
25 June 2013, Scholastic

From Goodreads.com:
Alexander has just moved to a new town where he is about to uncover all sorts of monsters! He finds an old notebook with the word "DOOM" inscribed on the front cover. The Notebook of Doom, which Alexander now holds, contains top secret information about monsters! In this first book, Alexander goes up against spooky balloon goons--unique and twisted arm-waving balloon guys! This book is full of humor, engaging black-and-white illlustrations, and of course . . . monsters!
Boris on the Move (Boris #1: A Branches Book) 
Joyner, Andrew. Boris on the Move. (Boris #1)
30 April 2013, Scholastic

From Goodreads.com
"Meet Boris! He lives with his mom and dad in Hogg Bay. Their home is a van that once traveled all over the world. Then one morning, Boris feels a jolt. Could it be? Is the van really moving? Is Boris on an adventure at last?
But when Boris ends up on a trip to a wildlife refuge instead of the jungle safari he'd imagined, he ends up having an adventure he'll never forget. Because for this little warthog, life never quite turns out as he plans
."



Picture Day (Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe, #1) Nees, Susan. Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe
30 April 2013, Scholastic 

From Goodreads.com
"Missy is a very creative girl who does everything in her own super duper royal deluxe way! This first book is about Missy's school picture day. Despite Missy's keen fashion sense, her mother insists on choosing her picture-day outfit for her. But Missy thinks it's the most boring outfit EVER! She simply must find a way to make her picture-day outfit her own. With her trusty friend Oscar and her cat named Pink by her side, Missy is sure to come up with an outfit that's truly super duper royal deluxe! Full-color illustrations throughout."

Kiki: My Stylish Life (Lotus Lane, #1)  May, Kyla. Kiki: My Stylish Life (Lotus Lane #1)
30 April 2013, Scholastic

From Goodreads.com
"Kiki, Coco, and Lulu are the BEST of friends. They even have their very own club! But Mika, the new girl, is shaking things up on Lotus Lane. This first book is written as Kiki's diary--with illustrations and doodles throughout. Kiki LOVES creating cool outfits, hanging out with friends, and collecting fun facts like these:

Fact: I am a member of the Lotus Lane Girls Club.

Fact: I will one day be a VERY famous fashion designer.

Fact: My new neighbor Mika is trouble--triple trouble!

Fact: Even chickens must look their best.
"


I enjoyed all but the last two-- the emphasis on clothing and dressing up rubbed me the wrong way.  

3 comments:

  1. You just made me take a trip down Memory Lane with your mention of Childcraft Encyclopedias. I grew up reading those, too, and I'm amazed at things I remember from when I was that young--growing up in a tiny town, my favorite volume was the one about customs around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so kindred spirits (-:)

    Although, I never seem to remember details about my childhood. Maybe when I'm older? Or I am just memory-disabled or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer of 72...for me, one year before first grade. I was reading a four book series "Fish/Mammels/Birds/Dinosaurs do the Strangest Things, lots of Richard Scarry and Dr. Seuss, and bits of Dorothy Sayers while sitting on my mother's lap. The cover of Gaudy Night distressed me...

    No emergent readers for me, though I probably wouldn't have minded them in the least!

    ReplyDelete