Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Why I didn't go to AASL

First, I always DO my duty, so I hate being told "It's your duty to..."

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/11/09/its-your-duty-to-keep-up-with-technology-librarians-told.html

I guess I spend too much time with hormonally-ridden teenagers. Whenever someone tells me I HAVE to do something, even if it's something I already DO, I want to tell them to kiss my magical unicorn butt  please leave me alone.

Secondly, even though the value of having librarians in schools is directly tied to BOOKS and GETTING THE RIGHT BOOKS TO THE READERS, that isn't really mentioned in the article, and I imagine wasn't mentioned much at the conference. Rarely is.

That's what I do. Get books to kids. Paper books, no less. I think it is very, very valuable. It takes a lot of work, the way I do it.

Now, I am up-to-date on my technology as much as I can be. Just this morning, I finished up a Google Slides presentation on how to add the Storyboard That extension to Chrome and use it to produce a storyboard on the plot elements. I added the presentation to Schoology so that the students in the classes could access it, and also added the assignment sheet with the rubric I created on Quick Rubric, as well as the template for the project. This is the lesson I will be using for my state evaluation on the 19th.

This took me about 12 hours to do. This is because I am a digital immigrant, so every step of the process was about as arduous as if I were trying to create all of the materials in Aramaic.

What I am working on now is my attitude. I need to go to AASL, ALA, and all of those other conferences and not come away feeling that I am not doing my job.

Because if I'm not doing my job, I'm sure spending a lot of time not doing it!

And look! I even posted my presentation to Slide Share so that I could share it on my blog!

2 comments: