Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Holiday Gift Guide- Manners!

25387912Ephron, Delia and Koren, Edward. Do I Have to Say Hello? Aunt Delia's Manners Quiz for Kids and Their Grownups
November 3rd 2015 by Blue Rider Press (first published November 16th 1989)
Copy provided by the publisher

When this book was pitched to me, my first thought was "Isn't that the same duo who created How to Eat Like a Child?" (1978) Sure enough, it was! Using Koren's goofy illustrations in black and red, young readers are guided through a wide range of situations that call for knowing how to correctly and politely behave. THe multiple choice answers always include funny choices, and it is these interjections of flippancy that make the whole book. Well, that, and the Tricky Situations chapters, which are amusing AND give valuable information about how cut your meat, identify salad forks, and use a soup spoon. (Clearly, as a rain helmet!) While the fact that this is a 25th anniversary edition shows in the chapter of video games ("You are only allowed to play on weekends..."), the book has had some updating and holds up very well. 

My only change to this book would be that given the appalling manners of many children these days, the correct answer to ALL questions should have been indicated. I have had children who honestly are allowed to put their feet on the upholstered furniture at home, so see no reason why they shouldn't put their mud-laden feet on the library chairs!

My daughter picked up the copy, ran off with it, and found it as amusing as I did How to Eat Like a Child. The burning question in my mind is now "How did I get ahold of that?" All of the books in my public and school library were at least 20 years old, and I don't think I bought a copy. Do I Have to Say Hello?  is the perfect gift for a niece or nephew who needs some gentle, amusing guidance in how to behave in polite society!

No comments:

Post a Comment